Welcome!

I grew up in Raleigh at a time when the nuns taught at Our Lady Of Lourdes. They lived out back of the school and wore those imposing yet Holy Habits that commanded your adoration, attention, and, quite frankly, your fear. So, when they asked you to "sit up straight" with your "feet flat on the floor" and compose your letters properly according to the Palmer Method of Handwriting, you did just that! I believe it was at that impressionable age that I became infatuated with the formation of letters. When I was introduced to calligraphy in 1978, it was no wonder I fell in love with this beautiful art form. My first taste of the calligraphic world lasted no longer than one hour. The instructor turned a piece of chalk on its edge to form calligraphic works of art from A to Z on the chalkboard. That was that! But it was all I needed to fire the embers that had been sparked in elementary school. Watching the slow, rhythmical shaping of those letters was like listening to classical music. It was not until 1997 that I enrolled in my first formal calligraphy class. Boy, were my eyes opened! I knew I had a lifelong road of learning ahead of me. It's been 38 years since that white piece of chalk was laid on its side. I am still learning. Come learn with me!

Monday, January 30, 2012

"Once" pencil sketch


I have had an idea in my mind for quite some time. Today was the first step in making this happen.

My Kerrlligraphy business, so far, entails doing custom lettering as well as teaching. But I have been thinking of an offshoot of all this. I want to start offering the writing of personalized fairytales with calligraphic lettering and art. Have you had a dream come true? Maybe the birth of your first child? Maybe your fairytale is the story of how the two of you met for the first time? I want to tell your tale!

This is the pencil sketch I worked on this afternoon to use in the blog I will start. Will it be my header? Will it be on my business card? I'm not real sure how it will be used, but I just knew I had to do it.

(And, truth be told, I am "killing two birds with one stone." Well, it just sort of happened that way. I am entering a piece in the Carolina Lettering Arts Society art show here in Raleigh in April with the theme "The Fanciful Letter." Thought I had quite a few fancifuls in this little piece. So now I can use it both in the show and in my business!)

Now, the next step is to make this pencil sketch into a colorful watercolor piece!

Cross your fingers!

4 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deb, thanks so much. i really enjoyed working on this sketch. i hope that it turns out as lovely on watercolor paper as it is in my mind's eye! one can only hope!

      Delete
  2. Kerr, I love it! (and I do like the sun at the end of the road :) )I know it will be beautiful in watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, Harriet, for your inspiration! It all started with the "O."

      Delete