Welcome!

I grew up in Raleigh at a time when the nuns taught at Our Lady Of Lourdes. They lived out back of the school and wore those imposing yet Holy Habits that commanded your adoration, attention, and, quite frankly, your fear. So, when they asked you to "sit up straight" with your "feet flat on the floor" and compose your letters properly according to the Palmer Method of Handwriting, you did just that! I believe it was at that impressionable age that I became infatuated with the formation of letters. When I was introduced to calligraphy in 1978, it was no wonder I fell in love with this beautiful art form. My first taste of the calligraphic world lasted no longer than one hour. The instructor turned a piece of chalk on its edge to form calligraphic works of art from A to Z on the chalkboard. That was that! But it was all I needed to fire the embers that had been sparked in elementary school. Watching the slow, rhythmical shaping of those letters was like listening to classical music. It was not until 1997 that I enrolled in my first formal calligraphy class. Boy, were my eyes opened! I knew I had a lifelong road of learning ahead of me. It's been 38 years since that white piece of chalk was laid on its side. I am still learning. Come learn with me!

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Ribbon Writing


Today I learned Ribbon Writing in our Triangle Calligraphers' Guild Meeting. The woman who shared this with us is Nell. She said there was not a whole lot written about this type of lettering, but she fell in love with it a few years ago and uses it a lot. I looked in my library of books and actually had the book that shows this exemplar. The book is "Hand Lettering" by Marci Donley & DeAnn Singh, and this exemplar is on page 102.

Nell explained how she forms these letters, and then one of the members, and engineer, came up with a completely different way of making them! And it was really easy doing it her way. 

I had fun with this. I think the choice of colors make the lettering. I like the pinks and greens together with a touch of blue. Nell showed us a piece she did using only a pencil for shading and coloring and it was nice as well. 

I laid down a curved line on my bond layout paper, then placed the exemplar underneath my layout paper, making sure the letter I wanted to trace was sitting on the line. I traced over each letter in pencil. Once done, I went over the letters with a black micron pen, then erased the pencil marks. Next, I chose the colored pencils I wanted to use inside the letters.

This is fun. It's easy. And if you want to make a quick Thank You card or Easter Card or Get Well Card.....
this would look grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment