Welcome!

I grew up in Raleigh at a time when the nuns taught at Our Lady Of Lourdes. They lived out back of the school and wore those imposing yet Holy Habits that commanded your adoration, attention, and, quite frankly, your fear. So, when they asked you to "sit up straight" with your "feet flat on the floor" and compose your letters properly according to the Palmer Method of Handwriting, you did just that! I believe it was at that impressionable age that I became infatuated with the formation of letters. When I was introduced to calligraphy in 1978, it was no wonder I fell in love with this beautiful art form. My first taste of the calligraphic world lasted no longer than one hour. The instructor turned a piece of chalk on its edge to form calligraphic works of art from A to Z on the chalkboard. That was that! But it was all I needed to fire the embers that had been sparked in elementary school. Watching the slow, rhythmical shaping of those letters was like listening to classical music. It was not until 1997 that I enrolled in my first formal calligraphy class. Boy, were my eyes opened! I knew I had a lifelong road of learning ahead of me. It's been 38 years since that white piece of chalk was laid on its side. I am still learning. Come learn with me!

Friday, October 28, 2016

Welcome to Our Wedding


I enjoyed working on this wedding chalkboard for Akira and Michael. Akira emailed me a pic from Pinterest that she liked and I endeavored to mimic it for her. You will see in the pics below the process. 


I printed out the Pinterest pic, then laid out a graph on it as well as on the chalkboard. 


Next was to start lettering according to the grids. This took a while.


It took several drafts with a fine chalk pencil to get their names exactly right. As you can see, if you scroll up, I ended up using a different draft for the final lettering. 

So, now you can pick up your chalk and go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment